Corfu Churches

The city has a very large number of mostly Christian Orthodox churches, which carry priceless historic, cultural and religious value. Extensive care has been given to preserve these, as some date back on the 16th century.

alt

Saints James and Christopher (Duomo)

Roman Catholic Cathedral of Corfu (Duomo) is located in the old Town Hall Square. It was built in the mid 16th century. Since 1632 it is the Latin Cathedral. It was reformed three times in the 17th, 18th and 20th century. It was restored after it was destroyed by the bombing of 1943. The restoration finished in 1970.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Paraskevi

The church is located in Porta Remounda. The church was in possession of the monk Christopher. It is the only church in the town of Corfu at which the Resurrection Sequence is sung.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of Pantokratoras

The temple was constructed in the early 16th century. Reconstruction work was between 1716-1728. Feature of the temple is the angel on top of the roof which is the work of sculptor Torretti (18th century). The surviving marble chancel was created by Chrysoloras.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Panton

The church was built in 1688 and renovated in 1851. It hosts the Figure of Our Lady of Vlachernon and features other sacred relics. The Hagiographies in the chancel of the church were painted mostly by iconographer George Chrysoloras.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Nikolaos ton Geronton

One of the features of the temple is the appearance of a pulpit and there are few such examples, and also the carved wooden temple which is one of the oldest. It was the Great Cathedral priests until 1712. Because of the many repairs the church has been altered externally.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Spyridon

The protector saint of the island is Saint Spyridon. The Church of Saint Spyridon is very special and hosts his relic. The temple was built in the 16th century and its interior is richly decorated with marble temple while the roof is painted by Corfiot painters Spyros Prosalentis and later on Nicholas Aspioti.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Georgios

Church of Agios Georgios is in the Old Fortress and is one of the biggest of the island. It was build as Anglican Church, and after the Union it become orthodox. The internal structure has changed since the bombing of 1943. Originally, the stone temple of St. Spyridonin was placed in the temple of Saint George and later on it was replaced with new one. It was inaugurated by the Metropolitan Athanasios Politis 1865 who dedicated to Saint George.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Nikolaos of Baths

Located in Faliraki and is part of a group of buildings. The church of Agiou Nikolaof Baths was built in the 16th century over an earlier erected in the early 15th century. Ιt was owned by the Katsina family, but later on has became public.

Read More …     img
alt

St. Iasonos and Sosipatros

The church is the Byzantine period and was constructed around 1000 AD. Inside the temple are preserved the relics of Saints Iasonos and Sosipatros. Its one of the best preserved temples of Corfu.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Ioannis Prodromos

Built on 15th century and extension works were in the mid 18th century. Demolished in 1804 to be reconstructed in the year 1807. One of the features of the temple is perforated spire over the sanctum. In the temple there are projects of Tzanne, Jenoy and Chrysoloras, while the dome is the work of Sperantza 1773.

Read More …     img
alt

Panayiopoula Church

The church is located in Porta Remounda. It was constructed before 1650. The initial name of the small private church was originally Holy Theotokos Odigitria and Saints Kosma and Damianou, but renamed to Odigitria Rachapidi Panagiopoula because it was granted to the Rachapidi family. Also, the church was a chapel of the monastery Platitera.

Read More …     img
alt

Church of St. Sofia

The church is located in the Evraiki area. The church was built and rebuilt in the mid 19th century and it is made ​​of wood. The construction of church reminiscents of Venice buildings from the early 19th century.

Read More …     img
Share this


Media Sponsors
Ρυθμός 997 Star 888