Sightseeing in Corfu

The town of Corfu is inarguably an ubiquitous monument. The old town, apart from an UNESCO monument, features two impossing fortresses, while the still in use old mansions are scattered everywhere.

alt

Mon Repo

Mon Repos is located on the edge of Corfu town, 3 km from the center and has an area of ​​258 acres. This is a beautiful property located in a prestigious palace, built in the 19th century by the English commissioner Adam. The Mon Repos later became the summer residence of King George I and today the site is open to the public. In the garden of Mon Repos are ancient temples, such as the one of godess Hera and Kardaki.

Read More …     img
alt

Patounis Soap Factory in Corfu

The historical soap factory of Patounis was build in 1891 as branch store of Bazani-Patounis Soap Factory that was founded in Zakynthos in 1850. Soap Factory Patounis is a family business and retains the same traditional machines used for the manufacture of soap. Produces traditional soaps exclusively from Corfu virgin olive oil with only basic raw materials such as olive oil, soda, salt and water. 100% Olive soap. Also produces plain soap, green soap, pomace oil soap and soap "type Marseilles". Patounis Soap Factory is a living monument to industrial archeology.

Read More …     img
alt

Municipal Theatre of Corfu

The Municipal Theatre of Corfu has a large hall for theatrical performances, music etc. Moreover, it has a hall for exhibitions and a smaller theater room.

Read More …     img
alt

Ionian Academy

The splendid Ionian Academy dominates the upper side of Spianada. It was the first university faculty of Greece and was established in 1824. In its original form had four faculties of Law, Theology, Medicine and Philosophy. Forty years later it ceases operation. The building was damaged during the 2nd World War and today is part of the Ionian University.

Read More …     img
alt

The New Fortress

The new fortress or fortress of San Marcos is the second of two forts constructed to shield the defense of the city. Its construction began in 1572 and was completed in 1645 by the Venetian architect Francisco Vitelli on the hill of St. Markos.At the hill of Saint Markos is housed the Cristianic church of Panagia Spileotissa. The fortress is open to visitors throughout the day and in the evening at the main building it is housed a bar with great architecture.

Read More …     img
alt

The Palace of Saint Michael and Saint George

The Palace St. Michael and George are in the Old Town of Corfu. After the union of Ionian Islands with Greece it was used as a royal residence until the Second World War. The building houses the Museum of Asian Art

Read More …     img
alt

The Corfu Reading Society

The Corfu Reading Society was established in 1836 and it is the oldest cultural institution of modern Greece to the standards of the homonymous Society of Geneva (Societé de Lecture de Genève). The main purpose of the Society was to purchase magazines and books from Western Europe to bring members into contact with the scientific, intellectual and political movement in Western Europe. The first years, the Society identified with the liberal and liberating wave that had spread to Western Europe. So the Reading Society established freedom of the press and the imposition of Greek as the official language of the "United State of the Ionian Islands". The Reading Society has a library of about 50,000 volumes of books that also functions as reading hall and features invaluable specialized Ionian Library with 7,000 volumes of unique collections of old maps, documents, photos. The Society organizes and hosts art exhibitions, lectures, seminars and conferences.

Read More …     img
alt

The Public Library of Corfu

The Public Library of Corfu is located inside the Old Fortress and is the most historic public library. It's story begins in the 18th century and the monastery of St. Justina. It has accepted donations from influential people of the island and beyond.

Read More …     img
alt

Liston

Liston is perhaps the most famous and characteristic point of Corfu. The name Liston is orginated from the Venetian dialect and means wide and straight road. Indeed in Venice there was road with the same name and it was located in the Piazza San Marco. Today, in the ground floor of Liston there are cafe-bar and restaurants, while in the floors there are mainly residential.

Read More …     img
alt

Windmill

The imposing Windmill is located on the edge of the Gulf of Garitsa. It is a beautiful spot for romantic walks.

Read More …     img
alt

The Old Town Hall of Corfu

The Town Hall of Corfu is a special building constructed in the 17th century by the Venetians. The building was used as a residence for the nobles and club officers of the Venetian army. In 1720 housed one of the most important theaters in "San Giacomo". It is used as a Town Hall since 1903.

Read More …     img
alt

Corfu Ionian Parliament

The Corfu Ionian Parliament is the building where the Union of the Ionian Islands with Greece was voted. It was built in 1855 and is neoclassical. After the Union, it was granted in Corfu Community Anglican Religion. In the Second World War it was burned during the bombing. A few years later it was restored and currently owned by the Municipality of Corfu.

Read More …     img
alt

Palaiopolis Archaological Site

The Paleopoli Corfu of was created in the 8th century BC and was a key piece of the ancient city of Corfu. It is located 4 km from the center of the city, at the area of the rule. One of the most well-preserved finds the five-aisled basilica church built in the 5th AD The region experienced growth in both the Archaic times and the later Hellenistic and the Roman less.

Read More …     img
alt

Aggelokastro

The Aggelokastro is one of the Byzantine fortresses of Corfu, close to the Paleokastritsa.

Read More …     img
alt

Byzantine Collection of Corfu

The Byzantium Collection of Corfu is housed in the main gate of Old Fortress and it holds about 40 exhibits from the old Byzantine collection of the Museum of Asian Art. The Collection was created in 1959 and was completed in 1970. It includes Palaiopolis mosaics and sculptures from the collection of the Palaiopolis museum and from others museums. Also includes wall painting of Sant Nikolas of Korakiana village of Corfu.

Read More …     img
alt

Annunciata

Annunciata is the former Catholic Church of the Evangelistria. Those killed in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571 were burried at Annunciata.The temple was destroyed by German bombing during the second world war and then the remains were transferred to the Catholic cemetery. Today only bell tower and part of the sanctuary are preserved.

Read More …     img
alt

The Old Fortress

The Old Fortress is at the eastern point of the city . The usage of the rocky peninsula as a fortress began post-Byzantine period, and started to take shape as we know it today around the 16th century. Within the area of the Old Fortress will encounter various reports, the Public Library of Corfu, the General State Archives, the Music Department of the Ionian University, a café, a restaurant and the sailing club of Corfu.

Read More …     img
alt

The Archives of the Prefecture of Corfu

The Archives of the Prefecture of Corfu belong in the General State Archives. The public visiting the Archives of the Prefecture of Corfu has the opportunity to be inform in the reading room and the library operating. The contents of the Archives focuses in prefecture of Corfu.

Read More …     img
alt

Statue of Costas Georgakis

Costas Georgakis was a Corfiot student at Genova. In 1970 he burned himself in order to protest in the lost of freedom and democracy at Greece by the junta.

Read More …     img
alt

Never again for any nation

Monument dedicated to the 2000 Jews perished in the Nazi concentration camps

Read More …     img
alt

Georges Theotokis

At Kiprianon Agona Square or Plakada tou Agiou is located the statue of the greek politician and prime minister of Greece George Theotokis who was four times Prime Minister of Greece, he was born in Corfu in February 1844 and died on 12 January 1916 in Athens, slthough his burial took place in Corfu. His sons, Ioannis Theotokis was prime minister of Greece and Nikolaos Theotokis was a politician and a diplomat who was executed in 1922 during the Asia Minor Catastrophe. Also his grandson was the politician and Prime Minister of Greece Georgios Rallis.

Read More …     img
alt

Count Matthias Von Der Shulenburg

The last great general of the Most Serene Republic MATTHIAS VON DER SCHULENBURG was of german origin, born in 1661 and died in 1747. In 1716 during the Turkish siege he was organizer of the defence of Corfu, constructing additional fortifications and assuming the command of the army. In an extremely rare decision, the Venetian Senate decided to set up the statue while he was living, giving him in this way the highest honor. The statue was created by the Venetian sculptor Antonio Corradinni, placed inside the Old Fortress and later it was moved to the entrance of the fortress.

Read More …     img
alt

The Antivouniotissa Museum

The Antivouniotissa Museum is located in Corfu and from 1984 is housed in the Church of Mother of God Antivouniotissa, which is one of the oldest church on Corfu town. In 1979 families Alamanou, Milonopoulou, Rizikaki and Sparka donated the Church to Greek goverment to operate as a museum. The Museum after necessary restoration work was inaugurated in 1984. The museum includes collection of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine paintngs and relics.

Read More …     img
alt

The Archaeological Museum of Corfu

The Archaeological Museum of Corfu include exhibits exclusively from Corfu.The museum was build between 1961 and 1965 after the donation of building of Municipality of Corfu and inaugurated in 1967.The museum was created for the showcasing the sculptures of the temple of Artemis. It includes bronze statues from the Archaic period to the Roman times, burial findings of Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic period from the cemeteries of Garitsa and Almyrou also includes a rich collection of coins. Prehistoric findings and findings from the 7th and 6th century BC which stands the lion Menekratous, figurines and statuettes from sacred of Corfu. And the impressive Gorgon pediment from the Temple of Artemis in Agious Theodorous of 585 BC, the oldest surviving stone pediment of Greek temple.

Read More …     img
alt

Banknote Museum of the Ionian Bank

The Banknote Museum of the Ionian Bank is housed on the first floor of the historic building in which the first Branch of the Ionian Bank in Corfu opened in 1840. The Museum’s Collection includes the complete series of all the paper money that was circulated throughout the history of the Greek State: banknotes, coin notes and related material, spanning 180 years of history. At the Museum’s permanent exhibition, major events in Greece’s history are presented by means of a timeline and are linked to the numismatic circulation. The visit starts with the bond notes in piastres issued by the Provisional Government of Greece in 1822 and the phoenix banknote issued by Ioannis Kapodistrias in 1831, and ends with the last banknotes issued in drachmas, which were withdrawn in 2002 with the introduction of the euro. Tours and guided visits to the permanent exhibition are also available. The second floor of the Building hosts temporary art exhibitions, conferences and seminars.

Read More …     img
alt

Casa Parlante

Casa Parlante is a 19th century noble mansion that come to live in the town centre. The museum provides a journey through time and reproduces the routine of a noble family of the 19th century.

Read More …     img
alt

Museum of Asian Art

The Palace of Saint Michael and Saint George houses the Corfu Museum of Asian Art, the only museum of Asian Art in Greece. Established in 1928 after the donation of the Sino-Japan Art collection made by Gregory Manos. The museum has collected a lot of donations and as a result it includes 15.000 exhibits of Asian Art. After the donation of 400 exhibits from India, Pakistan, Tibet and Southeast Asia the Sino-Japan Museum was renamed to Museum of Asian Art.

Read More …     img
alt

Museum of Paleopolis of Corfu

The Museum of Paleopolis of Corfu is housed in Palace of Mon Repo. The Museum hosts a collection of archaeological exhibits from excavations in the Paleopolis, known as Kanoni in nowadays. On the ground floor of the museum exhibits like rare documents, paintings, furniture and art collections of the 19th century are presented. Visitors may tour at both floors of the building where they will see artifacts from the excavations at Paleopoli and photographs from the excavations.

Read More …     img
alt

Pentofanaro of Corfu

The Pentofanaro will find it between the Upper and the down Spianada Square. It is a busy place where usually it is a focal point as well in this place the inhabitants of Corfu give their appointments to start the walking in the Spainada square, Liston or in the city of Corfu. Occasionally used as a starting point or termination of some events of city.

Read More …     img
alt

Garden of the People

The Garden of the People is located in the rear courtyard of the Palace of the Archangel Michael and Saint George is a large and beautiful garden decorated with beautiful trees and plants and elaborate sculptures with magnificent views of the Ionian Sea. Reminiscent of a huge balcony.

Read More …     img
alt

Pontikonisi

Pontikonisi is a very famous place of Corfu. It is a green rocky island and on it there is a church.

Read More …     img
alt

Column of Douglas

The "Column of Douglas» is an obelisk built in honor of the Commissioner of the Ionian Islands Howard Douglas (1835-1841). Custody of the base of the monument was the sculptor John Baptist Kalosgouros edited 3 reliefs. In the fourth side of the base there is an inscription on the work of commissioner. Its original location was in the area that today is the statue of Kapodistrias near cafe Aktaeon and was transferred in 1907 to its' current position (intersection of Alexandras Avenue and Democracy) due to landslide.

Read More …     img
alt

Venetian well or Well of Kremastis

The Venetian Well or Well of Kremastis is located in Desylla Square in front of the church of Panagia Kremasti. It has a octagonal shape and its construction dates back to 1699, as stated on the well. It was donated by Antoni Kokkini.

Read More …     img
alt

Bosketto

The MPOSKETTO is a small garden that is located in the heart of the Corfu town near to the entrance of Old Fortress and it is actually the municipal garden of Corfu town. It has a beautiful garden with two huge stone benches and a lot of statues like the statue of Guildford and the statue of Lorenzo Mavillis.

Read More …     img
alt

Corfu Sailing Club - HORC

Corfu Sailing Club is located in Mandraki at the Old Fortress of Corfu was founded in 1977 as an annex of HORC Athens and has worked as Sailing School for Beginners with over 1200 students. At times he has organized many tournaments as the Mini Ton Cup and 2 times the Eastern Mediterranean Yacht Rally also every year in collaboration with other groups organizes the Ionian Rally.

Read More …     img
alt

Pinia

In the early 20th century Pinia was the commercial center of town which means cone. Point is a dummy pinecone. Nowadays is one of the most beautiful and lively places in the town of Corfu.

Read More …     img
alt

Happy Train of Corfu

A beautiful experience that is enjoyed the tourists is the Happy train of the Corfu Town. Located next to Pentofanaro of Corfu and its purpose is to guide you to the beauties of Corfu.

Read More …     img
alt

Upper Square Spianada

Spianada Square or Upper Square Spianada as called by Corfiots is the main square of the island and the largest square in the Balkans. The people of the island from 1576 until the middle of 1579 demolished 2500 houses around the Old Fortress in order to increase visibility and defending the fortress. During the French rule of the Ionian region, the area was planted with various trees creating the Historical Spianada Square.

Read More …     img
alt

The Horse-Carriages of Corfu

The historic Horse-Carriages of Corfu was the traditional transportation of the Island. Nowadays used as Horse-Carriages Tour in Corfu Town. A ride with Horse-Carriage will travel you to different times enjoying the beautiful sights of Corfu. The ride starts from Spianada Square goes to Mouragia(Arseniou St.) - Agio Sofia - Georges Theotoki St. - Desila(Gym) - Tennis area and returns to Spianada Square. The time of touring is 40 minutes and the Coachman will guide you to local sights of Corfu. The cost of a ride is between 23.48 and 29.35 €.

Read More …     img
alt

Sightseeing bus

The sightseeing bus is daily available for tourists in order to guide them to Corfu town.

Read More …     img
Share this


Notice: The businesses presented herein (accommodation, eating, going out, rent-a-car, car parking, WiFi hotspots and ΑΤΜs) have not been updated for 2019. Please confirm all these information beforehand!